A total learning experience
A total teaching tool
SmartPass audio education guides are a new generation of resources that revitalize the study of literature by combining entertaining, award winning, full-cast drama with the very best of teaching.
Powerful audio drama leads the listener into the world of literature, to experience and explore the text with guidance from experts in English and History. This fully integrated commentary and analysis gives a student everything they need to understand and appreciate the text and maximize their potential in coursework and exams.
SmartPass guides are performed by some of the finest actors in Britain – from the RSC, Royal National Theatre and the BBC.
But don't take our word for it, listen live and download sample classroom projects now!
If you don't have RealPlayer simply click on the icon to install, free.
I’m using the Macbeth guide with my year 9 class – they are learning so much, it’s amazing!
Eve Clarke, Teacher, Hertfordshire, UK
SmartPass Teacher guides are the ultimate classroom tool for the study of literature – they present the full-cast drama with commentary or without, supported by a series of comprehensive CD-Rom bonus materials, designed to inspire and engage your students.
The CD-Rom bonus materials include a Teacher Pack of 15 multi-page projects and Read Along Scripts, presented as pdf documents.
- Each project presents a series of tasks, linked to a section of audio. These include class discussion topics, research exercises, writing tasks, drama activities and practice essay questions.
- To support the projects are a series of worksheets – maps, diagrams, text and archive documents – to use with your students. Teacher versions are also included with the information completed where necessary.
- Each project includes 'essential' tasks, as well as suggested ability bands. The essential tasks are also listed on a separate document, to help check your progress as you work through the text.
Read Along Scripts
Scripts for both the unabridged audio drama and the audio drama with commentary include track numbers to help students follow the text. They can be printed, viewed on-screen, or projected onto an interactive white board.
The versatility of SmartPass allows you to:
- Use the guide as your primary source of contact with the text.
- Work chronologically through the text or use as a dip-in resource.
- Work with slow and/or reluctant readers, or students with special educational needs (such as dyslexia or visual impairment).
- Enable more able/accelerated learners to take control of their own study.
- Set homework and review projects.
- Use as 'ready-made' lessons for non-specialists, such as supply teachers.
Students get a better understanding of the meaning and nuance behind the language.
LeeAnn, Teacher, Pennsylvania
Click here to discover more SmartPass full-cast audio dramas with integrated commentary, available from Recorded Books.
King Lear by William Shakespeare (unabridged)
Judge for yourself whether Lear is ‘a man more sinned against than sinning’ in this moral tale that pits wisdom and age against ambition and youth. Experience and examine the power of Shakespeare’s most cruel and violent tragedy.
Othello by William Shakespeare (unabridged)
Meet literature’s greatest villain in this tragedy fueled by jealous rage. Journey into the twisted mind of Iago, who freely admits ‘I am not what I am’, to truly get under the skin of this wondrous play.
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (unabridged)
Winner of the bronze award for Best Drama, Spoken Word Awards 2004. The poetry of Shakespeare’s star crossed lovers is poignantly performed and expertly explained in this unique production: ‘Passion lends them power.’
Macbeth by William Shakespeare (unabridged)
‘And nothing is, but what is not.’ Macbeth may be mystified by the Weird Sisters’ words but this intense performance with incisive commentary cuts to the heart of Shakespeare’s complex psychological tragedy.
Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare (unabridged)
When characters have to ask ‘Are all the people mad?’ you need a guide! Explore this topsy-turvy world to understand, enjoy, and analyse the language, imagery and themes of Shakespeare’s dark comedy.
Henry V by William Shakespeare (unabridged)
Hear ‘A little touch of Harry’ whenever you want to! Examine and appreciate the powerful language of leadership in this guided history play, considered to be Shakespeare’s greatest creative statement about war.
Shakespeare the works
Discover the genius of William Shakespeare in this entertaining and educational drama, designed to whet the appetite and introduce you to the man, the life, the legacy. Includes key scenes from the major plays.